Thursday kicked off the first of two joint practices between the San Francisco 49ers and the Los Angeles Chargers in Costa Mesa, Calif., and Kyle Shanahan was "happy overall" with the performance of his squad. The 49ers have been going head-to-head with members of their own team for the past two weeks, with the change up adding a "refreshing" feel to the final week of San Francisco's training camp.
Here are a few observations from the session as well as updates from the 49ers head coach:
- The both teams got looks at 1-on-1 drills. Here are a few takeaways:
"I like it," James said. "I was the first one over there. I was like, 'Hey Kittle, me and you. The people want to see me and you go. So, we've got to give them what they want.' Its good going against him. He's the best and I feel like I'm the best. So, why not go against each other."
- Jauan Jennings caught all of the passes thrown his way during 1-on-1 work, including a deep over the shoulder ball from Trey Lance with Chargers cornerback Donte Vaughn in coverage. The reception went for a "would-be" touchdown.
- Talanoa Hufanga had a nice rep, breaking up a pass intended for tight end Matt Sokol.
- Cornerback Alexander Myres intercepted a pass intended for wide receiver Jalen Guyton.
- Rookie defensive back Deommodore Lenoir broke up a pass intended for wide receiver Austin Proehl.
- Garoppolo connected with Travis Benjamin on a post route for a 30-yard touchdown in double coverage during full-team work.
- During red zone drills, Fred Warner broke up a pass from Justin Herbert to Chargers 6-foot-8 tight end Donald Parham Jr. in the corner of the end zone.
"They've got some big bodies at tight end," Warner said after practice. "It was a play where he had the leverage on me. I just had to run and play hands-to-hands and make the play."
- Rookie corner Ambry Thomas forced an incompletion on a pass intended for wide receiver Tyron Johnson during red zone work.
- As for the 49ers offense, Garoppolo connected with tight end Charlie Woerner in the middle of the end zone for a score.
- Lance found Ross Dwelley in a similar spot for a touchdown.
- On his ensuing series, Lance connected with Jennings for a 5-yard score.
- During two-minute work, veteran corner Dontae Johnson notched a pass break up.
- The 49ers defense managed to hold Los Angeles' first-team offense to a field goal.
- Lenoir closed out practice with an interception off of quarterback Chase Daniel. While attempting to drive the ball downfield, Daniel was looking for Chargers wide receiver John Hurst up the sideline as Lenoir came up with the ball.
Odds and Ends
- The 49ers are looking to give Trent Williams the week off. Williams had his knee drained after experiencing minor knee swelling. The hope is for the left tackle to be available for the 49ers third preseason game against the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Jalen Hurd was held out of Thursday's session as the wideout has been dealing with knee tendinitis, a lingering effect from last year's ACL injury. The 49ers are shutting the receiver down for the week with the hopes he can return ahead of Week 3's preseason match.
- Shanahan also gave an update on second-round pick Aaron Banks who suffered a shoulder injury during the 49ers preseason opener. Banks is likely to miss 1-2 weeks with a minor AC sprain.
- As mentioned by Shanahan earlier this week, linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair (knee) returned to practice on Thursday.