The San Francisco 49ers returned to the SAP Performance Facility on Friday to kick off their third block of training camp practices. The session was highlighted by a number of key plays from the 49ers offense, including quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and Raheem Mostert getting flashy in the ground game.
San Francisco held their fan-favorite 1-on-1 drills. Here are a few notes from the period:
- Garoppolo connected on a couple of deep passes from the drill, including a ball to Travis Benjamin.
- The quarterback also launched a 35-yarder to Jauan Jennings in his training camp debut (more on Jennings below).
- Rookie corner Ambry Thomas broke up a pass intended for Deebo Samuel.
- Trey Lance also aired it out, this time, on a pass to Richie James in double coverage.
- Safety Tavon Wilson got the best of George Kittle on an out pattern, breaking up a pass intended for the tight end.
- Fellow safety Tony Jefferson II also had a nice rep against tight end Ross Dwelley.
- Benajmin was on the receiving end of multiple deep throws, including a 40-yard pickup in double coverage on a ball from Lance during full-team work.
- Rookie safety Talanoa Hufanga recorded multiple run stops, as well as linebacker Dre Greenlaw, who recorded one against Raheem Mostert.
- Kevin Givens recorded a quarterback pressure that forced a Lance incompletion.
- Kittle made an impressive outstretched fingertip grab on a high pass from Lance.
- Lance isn't the only quarterback who has flashed with his legs. The 49ers unleashed Garoppolo as the quarterback faked a handoff and cut up the middle of the field for a 20-yard pickup.
- Mostert was the highlight of one the most standout carries of camp. The running back took the handoff and burst through a hole for a 60-yard "would-be" touchdown.
- During the 49ers first move-the-ball period, San Francisco's first team offense got inside the opposing team's 40-yard line. With a chance to convert, a play by Jason Verrett held Kittle a few yards shy of the first down marker, ending the unit's series.
Odds and Ends
- Emmanuel Moseley made his practice debut after being activated off the Reserve/Covid-19 list. The corner set the tone early, breaking up a pass intended for Samuel on the 49ers first passing play of full-team drills.
- Ahead of the start of practice, Jennings was also activated off of the Reserve/Covid-19 list. Jennings is a former seventh-round pick, who spent the 2020 season on the team's practice squad and adds himself to San Francisco's competition at the vacant WR3 spot.
"No long-term things," Shanahan said. "We're just missing a couple of guys from wear and tear. It's a part of camp. We'll just have to get through it all."
- On Friday, the 49ers activated safety Jaquiski Tartt from the Reserve/Covid-19 List and placed him on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List while working his way back from a season-ending toe injury.
- The 49ers will host their lone open practice of training camp at Levi's® Stadium on Saturday. For tickets and information on the open session, visit 49ers.com/TrainingCamp.