The San Francisco 49ers trudged into the weekend a bit. Friday's practice was nondescript as players will happily welcome Saturday's day off. After a sluggish start that featured a handful of pre-snap penalties, Kyle Shanahan brought the team together at midfield and told everyone to lock in. Things improved from that point. Here's what you need to know.
1. Mike Person started at right guard with Joshua Garnett (knee) still out and Jonathan Cooper (knee) not yet cleared for full-team drills. Garnett is getting a second opinion on his knee as Shanahan said there "is some concern." Richard Sherman's hamstring tightened up midway through practice. It seemed precautionary, but he didn't return. Sherman remained on the sideline for the remainder of practice and didn't appear to be overly concerned. Greg Mabin filled in at Sherman's spot with the first-team defense.
2. On another lineup note, D.J. Reed received some first-team reps at free safety. There was no word if Adrian Colbert was dinged up or if Robert Saleh just wanted to get the rookie defensive back some extra reps.
3. Most of Jimmy Garoppolo's longest completions of the day went to George Kittle. Garoppolo found Kittle up the left seam for a 25-yard touchdown to beat man coverage. During the two-minute drill, Garoppolo had back-to-back completions to Kittle, one on a deep in-cut from right to left and another on a long pass down the middle over the outstretched arm of Reuben Foster.
4. Garoppolo's most impressive pass of the day was a 30-yard strike towards the left sideline for Pierre Garçon, who ran a deep cross from right to left. Garoppolo lofted the pass perfectly into Garçon's arms with Sherman not far behind in coverage. That was the play where Sherman appeared to tweak his hamstring.
5. DeForest Buckner continues to be a one-man wrecking crew. Sheldon Day also showed well with a run stop in the backfield followed by a would-be sack on back-to-back plays. He's quietly had a very strong camp.
6. Raheem Mostert flashed throughout practice with several nice runs. San Francisco will have a big decision to make at running back between Mostert and Joe Williams, unless of course the 49ers opt to keep four running backs.
7. Foster planted Jerick McKinnon in the backfield on his very first run of the day. Foster continues to show elite speed in run pursuit.
8. Nick Mullens had a 25-yard completion down the middle of the field to Richie James off of play action.
9. Mabin intercepted Garoppolo on a pass intended for Garçon. The pass was thrown a bit behind the intended target and Mabin took advantage.
10. Rookie safety Terrell Williams picked off Mullens in the end zone. Mullens was rolling to his right and looking for tight end Ross Dwelley, but Williams was able to make a full-extension grab to secure the takeaway.
11. C.J. Beathard's best throw of the day was a 25-yard dart to Aldrick Robinson, who got himself open up the right seam.
12. Practice ended with the two-minute drill. The defense won both drives as neither the first- nor second-team offense was able to put points on the board. The clock management wasn't impressive from either offense.