The San Francisco 49ers resumed training camp practice following an off day on Monday. It was an up and down day for the offense as Kyle Shanahan alluded to following the session. Here are 12 notes from the 49ers ninth training camp practice.
1. Jerick McKinnon was activated from the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list ahead of Tuesday's practice. McKinnon, 11 months removed from an ACL injury, was limited to individual drills as the 49ers will ease him back into the fold.
2. K’Waun Williams (knee), Malcolm Smith (hamstring tightness), Jamell Garcia-Williams (concussion), Dee Ford (knee), Joshua Garnett (finger) and Jeff Wilson Jr. (calf) did not practice. Guard Mike Person received a veteran day off.
3. Jimmie Ward has yet to participate in team drills. The free safety is still wearing the blue no-contact jersey and conditioning on the sidelines. Shanahan said post-practice that the goal is for Ward to be ready by San Francisco’s joint sessions with the Denver Broncos on Aug. 16 and 17.
4. Tarvarius Moore saw an increase in first team reps at free safety in Ward’s absence. Following Tuesday’s session, Shanahan said Moore has “earned more reps” among the stiff competition at safety.
5. Receivers and cornerbacks were evenly matched during red zone 1-on-1 work. Here are a few notes from the drill:
- Richard Sherman dominated the exercise. The veteran corner did not allow a single reception during the drill.
- Kendrick Bourne found the end zone in each of his reps.
- Deebo Samuel also excelled, connecting on each of his three targets.
- D.J. Reed Jr. won the majority of his reps, including an outstretched PBU in the back of the end zone.
6. Jimmy Garoppolo connected with Ross Dwelley for a big gain down the right sideline on the first passing rep of 11-on-11 drills.
7. During the same period on a play fake, Nick Mullens found Trent Taylor wide open down the middle of the field for a long touchdown.
8. Another day, another Nick Bosa sack. Bosa and DeForest Buckner also had several pressures on the day.
9. The 49ers concluded Tuesday’s practice with a “move-the-ball” period. On a third down pass intended for Dante Pettis, Greg Mabin striped the ball from the receiver and held on for the defense’s first turnover of the day.
10. Five plays later, Garoppolo threw a perfect pass downfield that bounced off of the hands of his receiver and landed in the arms of Ahkello Witherspoon. Witherspoon made his return to practice on Tuesday after missing two days with a glute injury. Both he and Reed Jr. rotated first team reps at right cornerback.
11. Sheldon Day batted down a pass during the first rep of the “move-the-ball” period. Two plays later, he notched a run stop behind the line of scrimmage. Mark Nzeocha also had a big run stop in the backfield.
12. As previously noted, Garoppolo will be held out of the 49ers exhibition opener on Saturday against the Dallas Cowboys. However, Shanahan announced that the quarterback will see snaps in weeks two and three of the preseason against the Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs, respectively.