At the close of practice, Kyle Shanahan noted that the offense finally managed to wear the defense down on Sunday. But game-changing plays shifted the session’s momentum. Here are nine takeaways from the weekend’s action.
1. Dee Ford (knee), Joshua Garnett (finger), Jeff Wilson Jr. (calf) and Ahkello Witherspoon (glute) did not practice. Shanahan said following practice that Ford received a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection in his left knee and is likely to be out for another week.
2. DeForest Buckner returned to practice after missing the 49ers last three sessions with a toe injury. He saw individual and team reps on Sunday.
3. Nick Bosa continues to impress. The rookie had a "would-be" sack and multiple pressures during full team drills. He also forced a fumble on a run play that was recovered and returned for a touchdown by Emmanuel Moseley.
4. Speaking of turnovers, Dre Greenlaw intercepted a pass during 11-on-11 work for the defense's fourth interception of camp. He also swatted away a pass intended for George Kittle during the “move the ball” period.
5. Jimmy Garoppolo connected with Kyle Juszczyk on a wheel route for a 30-plus yard pickup during team drills.
6. During the “move the ball” session, Nick Mullens found Deebo Samuel on three completions for large gains – two over the middle and a deep pass on a post route for a touchdown. Samuel jumped past the safety and beat out the corner to the end zone.
7. D.J. Jones Jr. had several run stops. Solomon Thomas and Jullian Taylor also notched pressures on the day.
8. To close out practice, the 49ers first team offense marched down the field on a 6-play one minute drill that resulted in a Robbie Gould field goal.
9. The 49ers have Monday off. The team will resume practice on Tuesday.