After a day off on Wednesday, the San Francisco 49ers returned to practice on Thursday for another padded session. Here are the top observations from the 49ers fifth practice of training camp, presented by SAP.
1. Jimmy Garoppolo and the 49ers offense bounced back following a nondescript outing on Tuesday. Garoppolo kicked off full team drills with a dime up the left sideline to Kendrick Bourne. Garoppolo also made connections with Tevin Coleman, Deebo Samuel and Jordan Matthews during team drills.
2. DeForest Buckner and Mike Person did not practice on Thursday. Buckner is dealing with a mild toe strain and Person received a veteran's day off.
3. Dee Ford did not participate in team drills. Shanahan said Ford is dealing with knee tendinitis, something he dealt with during his time with the Kansas City Chiefs. Nick Bosa saw reps in Ford's absence.
4. Thursday's session was highlighted by red zone work, beginning with 1-on-1 drills. Dante Pettis beat his man on a perfectly thrown pass from Garoppolo to the back of the end zone. Bourne and Marquise Goodwin also came down with several contested catches.
4a. Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley and D.J. Reed Jr. all recorded PBU's during red zone 1-on-1 action.
5. The defense didn't record any takeaways on Thursday, however Fred Warner had a near-interception during full team drills.
6. Sheldon Day notched two would-be sacks. Arik Armstead recorded several pressures during full team and red zone work.
7. Defensive lineman Kapron Lewis-Moore sustained a groin injury during practice and will receive an MRI.
8. Joshua Garnett underwent surgery on his dislocated finger and is expected to miss three weeks.
9. Following the afternoon session, Kyle Shanahan gave updates on the 49ers running backs. Shanahan said Jerick McKinnon will not come off of PUP until after he's reassessed next week. Coleman has seen most of the first team reps in McKinnon's absence. Jeff Wilson Jr. will be out for 1-2 weeks with a calf injury suffered on Monday. He will not be available for the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys.