The San Francisco 49ers held their final open practice of training camp on Monday. Players wore shorts and shells during the session. Now the team will head to Houston on Monday afternoon. Two joint practices and the second preseason game, all against the Texans, await the 49ers on their first road trip of the season.
1. Richard Sherman (hamstring) returned to practice in full, which was a big surprise. Kyle Shanahan said on Friday that the team planned on keeping Sherman out another week. Instead, the corner is already back to getting reps in full-team periods. Sherman's best play was in coverage against Kendrick Bourne on a fade route in the end zone. Shanahan told reporters after practice that the team still plans on being cautious with Sherman. It's not a guarantee that he'll see full-team reps in Houston during what figures to be two very physical practices.
2. Joshua Garnett also returned to team periods. He played right guard with the third-team offense. Erik Magnuson played right guard with the ones as Mike Person was given a recovery day.
3. Trent Taylor continues to look better and better each day. The second-year slot receiver caught three passes on Monday, including one touchdown from Jimmy Garoppolo. Taylor should be full-go in Houston.
4. Garoppolo's longest completion of the day went to Garrett Celek down the right sideline. As Garoppolo released the football, the entire offense started to yell "Celek Time" as the ball sailed towards the wide open tight end. The long gain set up Taylor's score.
5. Jimmy G threw touchdowns to Cole Hikutini and Raheem Mostert during the red-zone period. Hikutini made a leaping catch in the back of the end zone, and Mostert scored on a nifty shovel pass from Garoppolo.
6. Nick Mullens ended practice with a 40-yard touchdown deep down the right sideline to Aaron Burbridge. It was one of the prettier balls Mullens has thrown all camp. Mullens also had another long completion up the right seam to Hikutini.
7. Korey Toomer intercepted Mullens during the red-zone period. The quarterback didn't see Toomer sitting in the middle of the field which made for an easy takeaway.
8. Sheldon Day had yet another sack. He flashes every single... day. I'll see myself out after that one. On to Houston!