The San Francisco 49ers closed out their final training camp session at the SAP Performance Facility with a stand out defensive performance. Here are 16 observations from Wednesday's practice.
1. Several 49ers made their return to practice on Wednesday, including C.J. Beathard (thumb) and Ronald Blair III (groin). The most notable was free safety Jimmie Ward. Ward was activated off of PUP last week, however was limited to conditioning drills on the sideline. He joined individual work on Wednesday, but did not take part in team reps as a precautionary measure while he returns from a fractured collarbone.
2. Dre Greenlaw is dealing with a stinger from Tuesday's practice and wore a blue non-contact jersey.
3. Joe Staley was pulled from team drills after experiencing soreness in his pectoral muscle. The 49ers will evaluate him in Denver.
4. Levine Toilolo is dealing with shoulder soreness, and is not expected to participate in joint practices against the Broncos.
5. George Kittle, who has been dealing with calf tightness, is day-to-day.
6. Jullian Taylor is dealing with a stiff back and was held out of practice.
7. On to football. The biggest storyline of the day was the five interceptions by the defense. Here are the details of each.
- The first takeaway on the day came on a pass intended for Ross Dwelley. The ball was tipped by Kwon Alexander and bobbled in Jaquiski Tartt's favor for the interception.
- On a deep pass up the right sideline intended for Matt Breida, Tarvarius Moore jumped the route and came down with the pick during 11-on-11 drills.
- Six plays later on another pass intended for Dwelley, Richard Sherman read the route and jumped right in front of the intended receiver for an interception.
- On the first rep of red zone drills, a deep pass intended for Dante Pettis landed perfectly in the arms of Ahkello Witherspoon.
- Three plays later, Moore came down with his second interception of the day on a pass intended for Dwelley.
8. During red zone work, linebacker LaRoy Reynolds broke up a touchdown pass from Nick Mullens intended for Kaden Smith in the front of the end zone.
9. Dwelley made back-to-back receptions during full team action. On the first play, Jimmy Garoppolo found Dwelley up the sideline for a 30-yard gain. On the ensuing play, Dwelley caught a screen pass for a 15-yard pickup. Dwelley has continued to see first team reps in Kittle's absence.
10. Mullens was flushed out of the pocket by Jay Bromley during red zone drills and rushed for a 10-yard touchdown.
11. Kendrick Bourne caught both of his targets in the end zone, including a deep pass up the left sideline from Mullens during the two-minute drill.
12. Jalen Hurd connected on each of his four targets on Wednesday, including a screen pass from Garoppolo for a touchdown during the two minute drill. Hurd also took an end around from Mullens for a sizeable gain during team drills.
13. Solomon Thomas had a sack and registered several pressures during 11-on-11 drills. Kevin Givens and Arik Armstead also recorded pressures.
14. Speaking of Armstead, his 6-foot-7 frame batted down a pass from Garoppolo on the first pass play of the session's two minute drill.
15. Kentavius Street recorded a sack and several pressures during Wednesday's session, one of which, forced an incompletion.
16. The 49ers will head to Denver on Wednesday for joint practices against the Broncos at the UCHealth Training Center in Englewood, Colo. ahead of their second preseason contest on Aug. 19.