The San Francisco 49ers defense has managed to string together several dominant showings at the SAP Performance Facility. Here are 12 notes and observations from the 49ers fourth training camp practice.
1. Jimmie Ward was activated off of the PUP list ahead of Tuesday’s session. He wore a blue non-contact jersey, however did not participate in any on-field drills.
2. San Francisco’s run defense continues to highlight camp. The 49ers running backs have struggled to find open lanes.
3. The biggest run of the day came during the final period of team drills. Matt Breida took the handoff and made a cut upfield for a 40-plus yard carry.
4. Tarvarius Moore shared first team reps with Adrian Colbert at free safety. Robert Saleh noted post-practice that he wants to give guys different looks and to not read too much into the change. Moore also logged an interception during 1-on-1 drills.
5. Rookie linebacker Dre Greenlaw left practice with a hand laceration.
6. Ahkello Witherspoon had a pass break up over the top of Marquise Goodwin during team drills. He banged up his knee on the play and sat out for a few reps.
7. Both Nick Bosa and Dee Ford were held out of 1-on-1 drills, but participated in full team action. Ford dealt with a finger and a quad injury. Saleh indicated it was nothing serious and that Ford is dealing with the “aches and pains of training camp.”
8. Bosa, Ronald Blair III and Kentavius Street all notched “would-be” sacks. Street also had several standout reps during 1-on-1 pass rush drills.
9. Richard Sherman had a strong showing. The corner broke up several plays in both 1-on-1 and 11-on-11 reps and had a big run stop against Tevin Coleman during the first portion of full team drills.
10. It was a rough day for the offense. Jimmy Garoppolo completed 5-of-14 passes, Nick Mullens went 7-of-11 and C.J. Beathard finished 4-of-9.
11. Jeff Wilson Jr. (calf), Joshua Garnett (finger) and Kyle Juszczyk, whose foot was stepped on during Monday’s session, did not practice.
12. Wednesday is the 49ers first day off from camp. Practice will resume on Thursday.