The San Francisco 49ers returned to practice following their exhibition opener against the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday. In preparation of their second preseason contest against the Denver Broncos, here are the takeaways from San Francisco's 13th training camp practice.
1. George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and C.J. Beathard did not practice. Kittle was sidelined with calf tightness and Samuel was excused from the session for personal reasons. Beathard is dealing with a sore thumb after hitting his hand on a helmet during Saturday's contest. Undrafted quarterback Wilton Speight saw his first full team reps in place of Beathard.
2. As for the remainder of the 49ers working back from injury, Nick Bosa (ankle), Ronald Blair III (groin), Dee Ford (knee), Joshua Garnett (finger) D.J. Jones (knee), Elijah Lee (thumb), Jerick McKinnon (knee), Raheem Mostert (head), Trent Taylor (foot), K’Waun Williams (knee) and Jason Verrett (ankle) were also non-participants.
3. Arik Armstead (calf), Malcolm Smith (hamstring) and Jeff Wilson Jr. (calf) returned to practice.
4. Speight went 3-for-3 during red zone drills, connecting with Richie James Jr., Tyree Mayfield and Jalen Hurd for touchdowns.
5. Jimmy Garoppolo found Matt Breida in the front of the end zone for a TD during team red zone drills. He also tossed a shovel pass to Tevin Coleman at the 10-yard line for another score.
6. Garoppolo hit Dante Pettis on a deep 30-plus yard pass up the right sideline during the “move-the-ball” period. Garoppolo also found Coleman and Marquise Goodwin on the drive that ultimately would have ended in a field goal.
7. Nick Mullens led a 70-yard drive down the field that ended in an Austin Walter rushing touchdown. Mullens made a completion to James Jr. and two first down pickups to Hurd on the drive.
8. Solomon Thomas had a pressure during red zone work that led to an incompletion. Kentavius Street and Jullian Taylor also registered pressures during the session.
9. Fred Warner came up with a fumble recovery on the 49ers first running play of the day.
10. Garoppolo connected with Ross Dwelley twice during Tuesday’s session, once at the goal line during red zone work, and another for a first down up the right sideline during the “move-the-ball” period. Dwelley saw first team reps in place of Kittle.
11. Jamell Garcia-Williams and Jordan Thompson split a sack during red zone work.