The San Francisco 49ers returned to work on Tuesday after taking the day off on Monday. Each side of the football had its share of big plays in what was an entertaining practice. Here's what you need to now from Day 5 of 49ers training camp.
1. There were some notable lineup changes with guys coming back to practice and others landing on the injury report. Arik Armstead (hamstring) is week-to-week. Rookie Jullian Taylor stepped in with the first-team defense at the big end spot on base downs. Malcolm Smith (lower leg) was a full participant in practice after being taken off of PUP Tuesday morning. Smith took first-team reps at MIKE next to Reuben Foster. Jimmie Ward (tightness) and Brock Coyle (tightness) were both removed from practice prior to full-team work. Tyvis Powell took Ward's reps at corner.
2. As always, 1-on-1 drills provided plenty of entertainment. Dante Pettis continues to impress during that period. Marquise Goodwin dominated as its fairly comical to watch 49ers corners try to keep up with the receiver's speed. Jaquiski Tartt and Tarvarius Moore had pass break ups during the period, and Steven Dunbar made a nice diving catch.
3. The highlight of the 1-on-1 period was Richard Sherman recording his first interception of camp. Sherman picked off Jimmy Garoppolo on a pass intended for Pierre Garçon. Garçon was running an in-cut from right to left, and Sherman jumped the route. Garçon previously beat Sherman on a go-route during the same drill.
4. We had our first 7-on-7 red-zone period towards the end of practice. Here are the top moments:
- Jerick Mckinnon caught two touchdowns from Garoppolo.
- Eli Harold had nice coverage against Kyle Juszczyk on a pass in the right flat.
- Garrett Celek caught a 6-yard touchdown from C.J. Beathard near the left sideline.
- Matt Breida caught a touchdown from Garoppolo on an angle route over the middle of the field.
- Sherman defended a fade from Garoppolo-to-Garçon perfectly and forced an incompletion.
- Tight end Wes Saxton caught a 6-yard touchdown from Beathard in his first practice with the 49ers. Saxton's deal with the 49ers just became official on Tuesday morning.
5. The defensive highlight of the day came from Adrian Colbert. The 49ers free safety intercepted Garoppolo over the middle on a play-action pass intended for Goodwin. Colbert returned it all the way for a pick six. After practice, Shanahan praised Colbert for the play and was impressed by the safety's diagnosis of the play.
6. DeForest Buckner dominated all practice long. He logged back-to-back sacks during one team period. That highlighted a strong day overall for the 49ers pass rushers. Jeremiah Attaochu and Cassius Marsh were impressive as well.
7. Beathard hit George Kittle deep down the right sideline for a 40-yard gain. Garoppolo followed with a 35-yard dime to Richie James down the same sideline.
8. In addition to his touchdown, Celek also made an impressive juggling catch near the right sideline. The tight end reached up with one hand and tipped the ball to himself before coming down with the 30-yard reception.
9. McKinnon caught several passes during full-team work in addition to his two aforementioned touchdowns. His chemistry with Garoppolo appears to be on point.
10. Aaron Burbridge quietly had another strong practice. He made a few contested catches during 1-on-1s and later had a long reception from Beathard in team drills.