The San Francisco 49ers returned to practice on Sunday after a day off on Saturday. There weren't a ton of highlight-reel plays, but there were still some notable takeaways all the same. Here's what you need to know from Day 9 of 49ers camp.
1. Richard Sherman (hamstring) has a Grade 1 hamstring strain and will miss the next week. Kyle Shanahan said that it was worse than initially believed but added that it isn't a major concern. It's only Aug. 5 and the team has more than a month before the regular season opener against the Minnesota Vikings. Tyvis Powell and Greg Mabin split reps in Sherman's place.
2. Staying on the injury front, Joshua Garnett (knee) will be given another week off before being reevaluated. Erik Magnuson played right guard with the first-team offense on Sunday.
3. K'Waun Williams rolled his ankle on Sunday. D.J. Reed stepped in at nickel corner. It's unclear how long Williams will be out, but his absence will provide Reed with a big opportunity. Reed has the potential to open the season as the team's No. 2 nickel corner (pending Williams' health) and No. 2 free safety behind Adrian Colbert.
4. A few notes on the day's 1-on-1 drill:
- Trent Taylor (back) received his first 1-on-1 reps of camp. He got open and made catches on all three of his routes. However, Reed did well to keep up with the shifty slot receiver on two of those reps.
- Steven Dunbar made the play of the day with an impressive over-the-shoulder catch on a deep ball from Jimmy Garoppolo down the right sideline.
- Ahkello Witherspoon looked sharp in all of his reps, however he wasn't tested deep on Sunday.
- Marquise Goodwin did Marquise Goodwin things, creating easy separation on each route he ran.
5. Joe Williams broke free for a big run. He took a handoff to the left, made one cut upfield and turned on the jets.
6. Jerick McKinnon wiggled free for a nice gain on a screen pass to the right.
7. Garoppolo completed passes for sizeable gains to Pierre Garçon, Goodwin and Kendrick Bourne.
8. Speaking of Bourne, the second-year receiver scored a 45-yard touchdown during a move-the-ball period to end practice. Garoppolo made an easy pitch-and-catch to the right, and Bourne did the rest of the work, turning upfield and taking off for the end zone.
9. Tarvarus McFadden, Eli Harold and Tarvarius Moore all had interceptions on Sunday. McFadden made a diving catch on a tipped pass during team drills. Harold picked off C.J. Beathard during a red zone 7-on-7 drill. Finally, Moore made a full-extension grab during 11-on-11 work on a short sideline pass from Nick Mullens intended for Ross Dwelley.
10. Garoppolo threw touchdowns to Garçon and Garrett Celek during the 7-on-7 red zone drill.