The San Francisco 49ers wrapped up training camp practices in the Bay Area with a one-hour workout inside of Levi's® Stadium on Tuesday.
Here are the top observations from the day. The 49ers will head on the road for two joint practices this week and a Saturday preseason game against the Denver Broncos.
1. Colin Kaepernick was not throwing on Tuesday. He did work on handoffs during individual periods. Kaepernick was later on the field for 11-on-11 work. He handed the ball off twice and kept it once as a runner.
2. DeAndre Smelter did not participate. The young wide receiver remains "week-to-week" with an undisclosed injury. Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton also sat out of team periods.
3. Arik Armstead did not participate in team periods. He also avoided hitting a blocking sled with fellow defensive linemen during individual period. Armstead later worked invdividually with Hall of Fame defensive end Charles Haley, who has spent the last week in camp with the 49ers.
4.** In the opening team period, Eric Reid was back on the field with the starters. Reid missed the preseason opener against the Houston Texans to welcome the birth of his second child. Gerald Hodges worked with the starting defense at weakside inside linebacker. Hodges later intercepted a red-zone pass intended for Garrett Celek in 7-on-7 work.
5. The 7-on-7 period saw Blaine Gabbert complete his first pass on a rollout to Pierre Garçon down the right sideline.
6. Linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong broke up a crossing route in the same 7-on-7 period.
7. In the second team period, Jaquiski Tartt rushed off the right edge unblocked for a would-be sack on Blaine Gabbert. Eli Harold recorded back-to-back would-be sacks in the same period.