- Wednesday's Niners Daily looks at the most notable moments from the recent episode of "Mic'd Up" on 49ers.com.*
Saturday's preseason opener against the Houston Texans also meant the return of a popular segment for the Faithful.
Tony Jerod-Eddie was the first player to be wired for sound in 2015. We gathered several notes from the near six-minute clip and compiled them below.
- Jerod-Eddie called nose tackle Garrison Smith "G-Baby" and veteran defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, "Big G-Baby" during a pregame stretch. Both are awesome nicknames.
- Defensive line coach Scott Brown offered Jerod-Eddie thoughtful words of encouragement before the game. "Hey, Tony, you're something," Brown said to his pupil. "You're something, Tony." Jerod-Eddie proceeded to give a pep talk of his own to rookie receiver DeAndrew White and linebacker Eli Harold. "Have fun, play fast," Jerod-Eddie said to Harold, a third-round pick.
- Jerod-Eddie was a team captain for the game along with kicker Phil Dawson, long snapper Kyle Nelson and tight end Garrett Celek.
- Jerod-Eddie was in the game for a critical third-down stop on the 1-yard line in the second quarter. Jerod-Eddie and a gang of 49ers defenders helped corral Texans running back Jonathan Grimes short of the goal-line. San Francisco's defense closed the door once again on fourth down, putting a period on an important goal-line stand against Houston. Head coach Jim Tomsula and tight end Vernon Davis both applauded Jerod-Eddie on the sideline for his contributions in the series.
- When rookie running back Jarryd Hayne took off on a game-long run of 53 yards, Jerod-Eddie hopped off the sideline bench and looked up on the NRG Stadium videoboard to watch the end of the play. "Then he hit 'em with the 'ohh-ahh.' Watch," Jerod-Eddie said to nose tackle Mike Purcell as the run was replayed on the board.
- Garrett Celek's 10-yard touchdown earned a golf clap from Jerod-Eddie. "I see you, Celek!" the defensive lineman went on to yell.
- At one point, Jerod-Eddie, Ian Williams and Dorsey came to the realization that Purcell's two-tackle sequence during the goal-line stand would likely wind up on HBO's "Hard Knocks."
"I didn't even think about that," Jerod-Eddie said as the others shared a laugh.
- Jerod-Eddie gave Tramaine Brock a hard time about wearing a beanie on the sideline. "It's too hot out here," Jerod-Eddie told the cornerback. "We're in Houston, Texas!"
- Jerod-Eddie got his hands on sunflower seeds on the sideline and finished the game with a snack as he watched "G-Baby" and the other young defenders get valuable playing time. When Jerod-Eddie wasn't avoiding Dorsey's request for more seeds, the wired lineman offered tips to first-round pick Arik Armstead on how to shed double-team blocks.
- Another memorable part of the video was Jerod-Eddie and Dontae Johnson letting Brock know about a fan wearing a No. 26 jersey in the crowd. Players do appreciate the sight of their jerseys being worn on gameday, especially on the road.
- Jerod-Eddie capped the game with a postgame talk with Texans defensive lineman Jared Crick. In the conversation, the 49ers defender offered his thoughts on Tomsula. "Player's coach," Jerod-Eddie said. "He's doing it all right."