The San Francisco 49ers now have even more ammunition for the May 8-10 NFL Draft.
The team was awarded a third-round compensatory pick on Monday to make up for the loss of its 2013 free agents, namely safety Dashon Goldson.
The draft choice will come 36th in the third round and 100th overall; general manager Trent Baalke and Co. now have 11 picks overall and six within the top 100. (As *The San Jose Mercury News *pointed out, the No. 100 slot produced Joe Montana 35 years ago.)
Goldson, whom the 49ers replaced with 2013 first-round draftee Eric Reid, recorded 14 interceptions in six seasons for San Francisco. He signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers via free agency last offseason.
Thirty-one other extra selections were awarded to 12 NFL teams at the owners' meetings in Orlando.
By rule, a compensatory pick is awarded to a team "losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year."
In addition to Goldson, San Francisco lost wideout Ted Ginn, defensive linemen Ricky Jean Francois and Isaac Sopoaga and tight end Delanie Walker. The club added safety Craig Dahl, kicker Phil Dawson, nose tackle Glenn Dorsey and linebacker Dan Skuta via free agency.
According to the NFL: "Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."
Since 1994, the first year they were handed out, the 49ers have been awarded 23 compensatory picks. Notable selections in recent years include...
2013: RB Marcus Lattimore (fourth round)
2010: WR Kyle Williams (sixth)
2007: DT Ray McDonald (third)
For the 2014 draft, the 49ers 11 picks are as follows:
- First round – No. 30 overall
- Second round – No. 56 overall (from the Kansas City Chiefs)
- Second round – No. 61 overall
- Third round – No. 77 overall (from the Tennessee Titans)
- Third round – No. 94 overall
- Third round – No. 100 overall (compensatory)
- Fourth round – No. 129 overall
- Fifth round - No. 170 overall
- Seventh round – No. 242 overall (from the New Orleans Saints)
- Seventh round – No. 243 overall (from the Carolina Panthers)
- Seventh round – No. 245 overall