View every player currently on the San Francisco 49ers 2017 53-man roster.
The San Francisco 49ers have announced their initial 53-man roster for the 2017 regular season. Before we dive into analysis of the roster, it's important to note that transactions are likely to be made through the weekend. Things might not be settled until Monday or Tuesday.
Until then, here's what we know about the 2017 49ers as of now. Let's start with some of the notable cuts. Some of these names could be added to the team's 10-man practice squad.
Notable roster cuts: QB Matt Barkley, RB Tim Hightower, DL Quinton Dial, WR Jeremy Kerley, CB Asa Jackson and TE Cole Hikutini.
1. With Barkley off the roster, that means C.J. Beathard will be the 49ers backup quarterback to open the season. The third-round pick started on Thursday night against the Los Angeles Chargers after spending the previous two preseason games as Pierre Garçon's backup. Now the job is officially his. Beathard finished the preseason with 401 passing yards, four touchdowns, one interception and a quarterback rating of 107.7. The rookie also carried the ball six times for 85 yards, including a 62-yard touchdown run against the Chargers.
2. Strong play of young players cost Kerley his roster spot. The 49ers top receiver in 2016 was expected to be the team's starting slot receiver once again in 2017. The additions of Aldrick Robinson and Trent Taylor made him expendable. Victor Bolden Jr.'s emergence as a standout return man played a role as well. Bolden Jr. is on the roster after scoring two return touchdowns in the preseason: A 104-yard kick return and a 92-yard punt return.
3. The 49ers initial 53-man roster will feature three tight ends as expected. Garrett Celek, George Kittle and Logan Paulsen were all locks following the Vance McDonald trade.
4. Injuries impacted the roster on a few fronts. Joe Williams was placed on the Injured Reserve List with an ankle injury. The 49ers had been expected to keep four running backs which meant Williams' injury opened up a roster spot elsewhere. Joshua Garnett, Don Jones, Chris Jones and Aaron Burbridge were also placed on Injured Reserve.
5. San Francisco opted to part ways with all of their backup three-technique defensive linemen: Dial, Jones (IR) and Sen'Derrick Marks. Don't be surprised to see the 49ers make an addition at this spot in the coming days.
6. Five undrafted free agents made the roster: Erik Magnuson, Kendrick Bourne, Bolden Jr., Breida and Lorenzo Jerome. That's a pretty incredible number. Bourne would be the most surprising simply because of numbers at the receiver position. Parting ways with Kerley and Burbridge's hamstring injury helped get the Eastern Washington product on the initial roster.
7. Besides Williams, all other nine 2017 draft picks made the roster. That includes sixth-rounders Pita Taumoepenu and D.J. Jones as well as seventh-rounder Adrian Colbert.
8. Keith Reaser made the roster over Jackson. It was believed that Jackson had a good chance at a roster spot following his two interceptions in the preseason finale against the Chargers.