The physicality of Wednesday's practice boiled into a few scuffles on Thursday. The San Francisco 49ers concluded training camp with a final joint practice against the Denver Broncos. Those tiffs marked the highlights of an otherwise uneventful practice.
San Francisco will have walkthroughs on Friday ahead of Saturday's preseason contest against the Broncos.
Here are Thursday's top happenings.
1.** The session was designed to be cut short and was far less physical without full pads. Players still wore shoulder pads which allwed linemen to do battle in 1-on-1 drills.
Earl Mitchell, D.J. Jones, Chris Jones and Ahmad Brooks each had a standout rep. When the drill switched to 2-on-2, Chris Jones and Eli Harold as well as Garrett Celek and Dekoda Watson were two pairings who showed well.
2. The offensive play of the day came during full-team work. On play action, Pierre Garçon unleashed a deep ball down the right sideline for Victor Bolden Jr. The undrafted rookie made a diving catch after beating Broncos standout corner Aqib Talib.
3. The 49ers weren't as successful on Thursday during 7-on-7 red zone work.
- Hoyer opened the period with a touchdown pass to Kyle Juszczyk on play action.
- A ball bounced off the hands of Jeremy Kerley and was intercepted by Broncos safety Justin Simmons.
- C.J. Beathard found Bolden right at the goal line for a short touchdown pass.
4. Harold worked ahead of Brooks as the first-team SAM linebacker on Thursday. It's too soon to assume that any changes have been made on the depth chart. The coaches are likely trying to get Harold extra snaps after he missed a week due to a concussion.
5.** Here are a few top plays from 7-on-7 full-field work.
- Hoyer found Bolden and Pierre Garçon deep middle.
- Hoyer connected with Juszczyk on a pass short right.
- Beathard hit Raheem Mostert up the left seam and Blake Bell over the middle.
6. Garrett Celek made an impressive sideline catch. Broncos safety Will Parks got a fingertip on Hoyer's pass but McDonald was able to still make the contested grab.
7. Reuben Foster was limited with a shoulder injury. He participated in 7-on-7 drills but not full-team work. Kyle Shanahan said he expects the rookie linebacker to play on Saturday. NaVorro Bowman suffered a similar AC joint sprain that isn't believed to be serious.