Day 2 of the San Francisco 49ers mandatory minicamp is in the books. Here's everything you need to know from Wednesday's practice.
1. Torrey Smith had a monster practice, making several impressive catches throughout the two-hour session. The first came on a 15-yard crossing route in which he had to adjust to a ball thrown behind him to make the grab during the 4-on-3 period. Then in 7-on-7, Gabbert tossed a beautiful deep ball down the right sideline that landed over Smith's shoulder. Smith made the contested catch in tight coverage for the long completion.
During the 7-on-7 red-zone period, Gabbert found Smith in the right corner of the end zone for a touchdown. On the play, Smith hauled in the pass and tapped both feet in bounds to complete the catch. In the team 7-on-7 period, Smith moved the chains after getting open on a hitch route and connecting on another pass from Gabbert. Smith's day ended with two more receptions on deep crossing routes.
It was a fine, fine day for No. 82.
2.** Most of the day's entertainment came during the red-zone periods. After Gabbert's touchdown pass to Smith, Colin Kaepernick followed with a touchdown pass of his own to Dres Anderson. Kaepernick rolled out to his right and found Anderson wide open in the end zone.
Kaepernick's second touchdown came during the same period. On 3rd-and-3 near the goal line, the quarterback lofted a pass to a wide-open Bruce Miller. The score atoned for Miller's drop two plays prior when Kaepernick hit the tight end for a near-touchdown up the right seam.
Kaepernick looked sharp on Wednesday and participated in everything but full-team drills.
3. After a false start penalty, Gabbert and the first-team offense faced a 3rd-and-15 in the 7-on-7 red-zone period. Gabbert promptly completed a pass to Blake Bell for a first down and hit DiAndre Campbell for a touchdown on the next two plays. Campbell made a contested grab on a slant to the middle of the end zone.
Gabbert's final score of the day came on a pass to the left corner of the end zone to Bruce Ellington during the team red-zone period.
4. Garrett Celek batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage for the second straight day. Eli Harold also had a PBU, knocking down a throw intended for a running back in the flats.
5. Aaron Lynch recorded two would-be sacks. On both plays, which happened in separate periods, the referees on hand blew the play dead before the quarterback could get a pass off.
6.** Thad Lewis made back-to-back impressive throws during the team red-zone portion. The first was a completion to Anderson on the left side of the field, threaded between two defenders for a first down. Lewis then fired a touchdown pass on the next play to DeAndrew White, who leaped and took a 50/50 ball away from the defensive back in coverage.
7. Rookie cornerback Rashard Robinson had an impressive pass breakup deep downfield in the 4-on-3 portion on a pass intended for Anderson.
8. Quinton Patton made back-to-back contested catches in 4-on-3, one of which came on a deep crossing route.
9. Aaron Burbridge has showed off his strong hands and crisp route running a few times this offseason. The rookie wideout had another fine catch on Wednesday on a 15-yard comeback route near the right sideline. Burbridge later made a reception on a crossing route over the middle in a team period.
10. Lineup changes from Tuesday included Trent Brown and Andrew Tiller playing with the first-team o-line at right tackle and right guard, respectively. Erik Pears and Brandon Thomas played with the twos.
Gerald Hodges played next to NaVorro Bowman on Wednesday after Michael Wilhoite filled that role on Tuesday. The rotation at inside linebacker will continue until someone wins the starting job in training camp.
Check out the top images as the 49ers begin the final phase of their 2016 offseason program, a three-day mandatory minicamp.
11.** Tight end Je'Ron Hamm grabbed two long receptions during the first 7-on-7 period, one up each seam.
12. Tramaine Brock had a pass breakup on a throw intended for DeAndre Smelter in 7-on-7.
13. Bryce Treggs flashed for the second consecutive day. The receiver caught a pass deep down the middle of the field from fellow rookie Jeff Driskel during the first team portion.
14. Rookie linebacker Wynton McManis and rookie defensive lineman Darren Lake combined for a sack in a team period.
15. The highlight of practice came at the bitter end. Captain Tyson Baynes took to the 49ers practice fields for his promotion ceremony for the United States Army. Congratulations to the newly titled Major Baynes.