The San Francisco 49ers are in the middle of their second week of organized team activities. Here are notes and observations from Wednesday's open practice.
1. Here's your weekly reminder that lineups are a constant rotation and that it's only May 31. That said, Dontae Johnson mixed in more this week with the first-team defense. Keith Reaser split reps with Johnson in the spot opposite Rashard Robinson. Eli Harold got some reps with the ones as well, rotating with Ahmad Brooks. K'Waun Williams continued to get plenty of run at the nickel spot.
2. Offensively, Joshua Garnett continued to work at both right and left guard. John Theus got some work at left tackle and Brandon Fusco got reps at right guard with the ones.
3. The defense had an impressive day overall, limiting big gains, getting into the backfield and playing tight coverage on receivers. There were only a few pass plays that would have gone for more than 10 yards.
3. DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead combined for a pair of run stops during the first team period. Robert Saleh joked after practice that the 49ers defense "looks good coming off of the bus" with those two leading the way.
4. Malcolm Smith forced a fumble on one pass play over the middle.
5. Logan Paulsen had a few catches on the day. One came as a safety valve with Pierre Garçon rolling to his right. The other was a 10-yard out towards the left sideline.
6. NaVorro Bowman and Williams combined for a sack on a blitz. Quinton Dial and Dekoda Watson were also seen getting to the quarterback.
7. Rookie running back Matt Breida showed off his speed on two occasions, once on a run up the right side of the field and another on a quick out to the left from C.J. Beathard.
8. Hoyer completed the longest pass of the day on a strike down the middle of the field to Jeremy Kerley for about 20 yards. During the same team period, Hoyer completed passes to Kyle Juszczyk on an out to the left and to Pierre Garçon on a quick pass up the right seam.
9. Kerley, Victor Bolden Jr., Rashad Ross, DeAndre Carter and Trent Taylor all got reps at punt returner.
10. Beathard connected with Taylor on two occasions. The first was a quick out towards the left sideline. The second was an impressive timing throw for about 10 yards near the same sideline.
11. Rookie tight end Cole Hikutini made a couple of nice catches. One was a diving grab on a quick throw to the right and the other came when Matt Barkley found him up the left seam towards the end of practice.
12. Barkley's biggest gain was a completion to Carter on a post towards the middle of the field. The quarterback's throw threaded tight coverage and hit his target in the hands.
13. Reaser recorded a diving pass breakup down the right sideline on a 15-yard throw from Hoyer to DeAndre Smelter.