The San Francisco 49ers returned to the SAP Performance Facility for their final practice before the Houston Texans come to town. The two clubs will practice against each other on Friday before their preseason opener on Sunday.
Here are the top practice notes from Thursday.
1. The session was around 90 minutes long and didn't include much contact. Players were in shorts and shells, but they'll be back in full pads for what should be a very competitive practice against the Texans on Friday.
2. Erik Pears and Colin Kaepernick did not participate on Thursday. A team spokesman said Kaepernick was given a planned day of rest. There was no word on Pears' reasoning for sitting out. Arik Armstead, who had been limited to individual drills the past two days, participated in full team periods.
3. Jaquiski Tartt grabbed an interception during the first team period. Eric Reid tipped a pass intended for Bruce Ellington, and Tartt was able to dive and secure the pick.
4.** Blaine Gabbert's best throw of the day came during 7-on-7 work. The quarterback hit Torrey Smith with a back shoulder throw down the left sideline for a 20-yard gain.
5. Ray-Ray Armstrong and Kenneth Acker recorded pass breakups during the same 7-on-7 period.
6. Tony Jerod-Eddie got some reps with the first-team defense during a red-zone period. Defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil indicated before practice that he wanted every defensive lineman to get some work in with the first group so that they could go against the team's top offensive line.
7. Ahmad Brooks and Corey Lemonier had would-be sacks in the red-zone portion.
8. Second-year tight end Blake Bell got some work in with the first-team offense. During a red-zone drill, Gabbert found Bell right at the goal line for a short touchdown.
9. Jeff Driskel finished practice with back-to-back touchdown passes, both in the back left corner of the end zone. The first went to Dres Anderson. The Utah wideout won a jump ball against the man in coverage and managed to keep his feet in bounds. Undrafted Cal wide receiver Bryce Treggs made a similar reception on the following play. Driskel lofted a perfect throw over the defense to where only Treggs could make the grab.
10. Charles Haley remains a constant presence at 49ers training camp. After practice, Aaron Lynch and DeForest Buckner put on boxing gloves and went through an extra workout with the hall of fame defensive end.
11. A group of referees were also in attendance and will be a part of Friday's joint practice.