Wednesday's practice provided an entertaining hour and a half as the San Francisco 49ers OTAs rolled on. Here are all the notes you need to know about the session.
1. Reuben Foster is back with the team after his domestic violence charges were dropped last week. He joined the offseason program last Thursday, but Wednesday's practice was the first time media has gotten to see Foster back on the field. The linebacker isn't practicing yet – although Robert Saleh said he's in great shape. He should be participating fully in short order.
In the meantime, Foster is working off to the side with strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright. At the end of practice, Foster joined Richard Sherman as a hype man for the defense during an 11-on-11 red zone period.
2. Speaking of Sherman, the veteran corner continues to be engaged on every single snap. When his eyes aren't locked on each snap, he's off to the side working with his teammates. There was one moment where he and Ahkello Witherspoon were going through coverage technique by themselves. At another point, Sherman was chopping it up with defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley.
3. The offensive play of the day came during the first 11-on-11 period. Jimmy Garoppolo fired a deep ball down the right sideline that connected with Kendrick Bourne.
4. Some 7-on-7 red zone highlights:
- Garoppolo threw back-to-back touchdowns to Garrett Celek. The first was near the right edge of the end zone and the second came on an in-cut from right to left toward the middle of the field.
- Celek dropped a pass later in the period that ended up resulting in a Terrell Williams Jr. interception.
- C.J. Beathard threw a touchdown to Steven Dunbar Jr. near the left edge of the end zone.
- Garoppolo threw an additional trio of touchdowns to Aaron Burbridge, Matt Breida and Kyle Juszczyk. Overall, the 49ers franchise quarterback was absolutely money. You'd expect a quality QB to excel in 7-on-7, and Garoppolo didn't disappoint.
5. Garoppolo's only major blemish on the day was an underthrown deep ball to Marquise Goodwin. Goodwin looked like he had a step on Jimmie Ward, but he had to retreat to the underthrown pass.
6. Cassius Marsh had a nice practice. He had a would-be sack in full-team work with an inside swim move and also showed well in the 1-on-1 pass rush portion.
7. Laken Tomlinson held his own against DeForest Buckner for a few reps 1-on-1 before Buckner went to his bull rush move and went through Tomlinson. DeFo is an absolute beast of a human.
8. Eli Harold had a standout rep during 1-on-1 pass rush work as well when he teamed up with Jullian Taylor. Harold ran an inside stunt and got a clear path to the quarterback.
View the top images from Tuesday as the 49ers took the field for the start the second week of organized team activities.
9. Victor Bolden Jr., Dante Pettis, D.J. Reed Jr., and Richie James Jr., all got reps at punt returner.
10. Nick Mullens made a few impressive throws during an 11-on-11 period. The first was a dart up the right seam to Bolden. He followed with a nice sideline throw to Pettis.
11. Here are a few highlights from the full-team red zone period.
- Garoppolo began the portion with a strike to Bourne for a touchdown in the middle of the end zone.
- Ward broke up a pass in the back of the end zone intended for Pierre Garçon. Sherman, who was only a few yards away, was fired up and went over to congratulate Ward. Sherman had a similar reaction when Reed played great sideline coverage against Burbridge.
- Sheldon Day batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage. Day had an impressive practice as he also grabbed an interception on a tipped pass earlier in the session.