ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The San Francisco 49ers held their first of two joint practices against the Denver Broncos at the UCHeath Training Center on Friday. In a civil session between the two clubs, here are the top observations.
1. San Francisco waived/injured cornerback Greg Mabin ahead of Friday’s session. The team signed former Green Bay Packers cornerback Quinten Rollins. Rollins recorded a PBU during 11-on-11 action.
2. Mike Person was using crutches and wearing a protective boot following Friday's session. There is no word yet on the severity of Person's injury.
3. As for the rest of the 49ers, Ronald Blair III (groin), Nick Bosa (ankle), Dee Ford (knee), Joshua Garnett (finger), George Kittle (calf tightness), D.J. Jones (knee), Elijah Lee (thumb), Raheem Mostert (concussion protocol), Jullian Taylor (back), Trent Taylor (foot), Levine Toilolo (shoulder), Jason Verrett (ankle) and K’Waun Williams (knee) were non-participants.
4. San Francisco’s defense was stout during 11-on-11 red zone drills.
- Jaquiski Tartt had a big pass break up at the goal line.
- Damontre Moore and Jay Bromley each had a run stop behind the line of scrimmage.
- D.J. Reed Jr. broke up a pass in the end zone.
- LaRoy Reynolds had a PBU at the goal on a pass from Joe Flacco intended for Courtland Sutton.
- DeForest Buckner recorded a “would-be” sack, forcing an incomplete pass from Flacco.
5. Buckner stood out during the joint session, recording several pressures during full team drills. Arik Armstead also had multiple pressures on the day.
6. Jimmy Garoppolo was perfect during the first 11-on-11 period, completing all four of his passes.
7. Malcolm Smith recorded the defense's first takeaway on the day. On a pass from Flacco intended for Phillip Lindsay, the running back tipped the ball, which fell right into the hands of Smith.
8. Matt Breida did not participate in team drills, which opened up extended reps for Jeff Wilson Jr.. Wilson was impressive during the 49ers red zone period, recording both a receiving and rushing touchdown.
9. Tarvarius Moore recorded the 49ers second interception of the day. Fred Warner pressured Flacco during an 11-on-11 rep. The quarterback was looking for Emmanuel Sanders when Moore jumped the route and returned the ball to the end zone for a pick six.
10. San Francisco’s third takeaway of the day came during the final 11-on-11 period. Warner stripped Lindsay of the ball on a run play. Rookie linebacker Dre Greenlaw recovered the fumble.
11. David Mayo and Jamell Garcia-Williams split a “would-be” sack during the final full team period.
12. During 1-on-1 drills, Mark Nzeocha and Dontae Johnson both recorded a PBU.