The San Francisco 49ers have been hard at work this offseason, constructing their roster for the 2023 regular season. The team added a total of 10 outside players via trade and free agency signings shortly after the start of the new league year along with retaining another 10 of its players from the 2022 NFC Championship Game roster.
The next big opportunity to bolster the roster comes via the 2023 NFL Draft which will officially get underway on April 27. As it stands, the 49ers won't actually be picking until Day 2 beginning in the third round. San Francisco has 11 total picks slated heading into the Draft and looks to add depth at several key positions.
Below are some of the key dates and deadlines for the NFL calendar this offseason. Additional offseason dates will be announced at a later time.
Feb. 2-5: NFL Pro Bowl Games, Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada
Feb. 21: The window opens at 1:00 p.m. PT for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
Feb. 25: HBCU Legacy Bowl, Yulman Stadium, New Orleans, Louisiana
Feb. 28 - March 6: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana
March 7: Deadline at 1:00 p.m. PT for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 7: College Pro Days begin nationally
March 7- April 19: The window for draft-eligible facility visits opens up. Clubs are permitted 30 non-local players for physical exams/visits and cannot conduct any on-field workouts.
March 7- April 26: The window for video or telephone interviews with draft-eligible players begins. Clubs can conduct three video or telephone interviews per player that are no longer than one hour in length.
March 13-15: Between 9:00 a.m. PT on March 13 and 12:59:59 p.m. PT on March 15, clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2022 player contracts at 1:00 p.m. PT on March 15.
- During the above two-day negotiating period, a prospective undrafted free agent who is not represented by an NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor is permitted to communicate directly with a new club's front office officials (excluding the head coach and other members of the club's coaching staff) regarding contract negotiations.
- No prospective unrestricted free agent is permitted to execute a contract with a new club until 1:00 p.m. PT, on March 15.
March 15: The 2023 League Year and Free Agency Period begins at 1:00 p.m. PT.
- Prior to 1:00 p.m. PT, clubs must exercise options for 2023 on all players who have option clauses in their 2022 contracts.
- Prior to 1:00 p.m. PT, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.
- All clubs must be under the 2023 Salary Cap prior to 1:00 p.m. PT. All 2022 NFL player contracts will expire at 1:00 p.m. PT.
March 26-29: Annual League Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona
April 3: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2022 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.
April 17: Clubs with returning head coaches, including the 49ers, may begin offseason workout programs.
April 19: Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview, or conduct a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at its club facility.
April 21: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
April 26: Deadline for a prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents.
April 27: Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview or conduct a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at any location.
April 27-29: NFL Draft, Kansas City, Missouri
May 1: Deadline for Prior Club to send "May 1 Tender" to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents.
- If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 1:00 p.m. PT, only with his Prior Club.
May 2: Deadline for teams to exercise Fifth-Year Option for players selected in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.
May 5-8 or May 12-15: Clubs can hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday on either of these two weekends following the Draft.
May 15: Rookie Football Development Programs begin.
May 18-21: (Tentative): NFLPA Rookie Premiere, TBD.
May 22-24: Spring League Meeting, TBD.
August 3-6: Hall of Fame Weekend in Canton, Ohio
Sept. 7: NFL Kickoff Game