View the top images from the first day of practice during 2017 training camp presented by SAP.
Practice rolled into the weekend as the San Francisco 49ers finished their second training camp session on Saturday afternoon. Here are the top notes from the SAP Performance Facility, beginning with Solomon Thomas' first full practice since being drafted by the 49ers.
1. Thomas joined the second-team defense throughout practice and played both at the big end and the three-technique. He batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage and made a play in the backfield.
Kyle Shanahan gave a modest review of Thomas' performance.
"I probably would have noticed him if he was really bad, and I would have noticed him if he was really good," Shanahan said, half joking.
2. The play of the day came from Marquise Goodwin, who got open on a go-route and hauled in a long pass from Pierre Garçon. After making the catch, Goodwin made a quick move to cut towards the middle of the field to complete the 70-yard score.
Goodwin motioned from left to right pre-snap and Hoyer sold the play-action fake.
3. Pierre Garçon opened practice with a big run for the second straight day. He took a handoff to the left, made one cut back up the middle and took off through the hole.
4. Keith Reaser got first-team reps at corner on Saturday opposite Rashard Robinson. It was Dontae Johnson in that spot on Friday. Those two will likely continue to swith back-and-forth until a leader emerges in the competition.
5.** Will Redmond had an impressive day in the nickel position. His daily battles with Trent Taylor continue to be entertaining. Each player had their share of "wins". Redmond had a diving PBU and recovered a fumble. Taylor caught several passes in 7-on-7, including a 25-yard completion on a deep crossing route from Nick Mullens.
6. C.J. Beathard completed a long pass down the middle of the field to Victor Bolden Jr. during the first full-team period.
7. Pierre Garçon and George Kittle each had an acrobatic catch during 7-on-7. Garçon went full extension near the right sideline and Kittle made a diving play in tight coverage.
8. In addition to LEO, Arik Armstead got some work at three-technique.
9. Ahmad Brooks had a would-be sack during a team drill. Eric Reid also made an impressive run stop on a play towards the right side.
10. Goodwin and Robinson had a few notable 1-on-1 battles downfield. Robinson held up very well against Goodwin's speed. Unsurprisingly, he continues to show that he's the top corner on the 49ers roster. There was a brief scare when Robinson came up hobbling after one play, but luckily it was just a small cramp. He later came back into practice.
11. Aaron Burbridge made a contested catch towards the end of practice on a sideline pass from C.J. Beathard.
12. Lorenzo Jerome had the lone interception of the day, picking off Barkley on a throw towards the left sideline. Barkley responded with a dime to Kendrick Bourne for a sizeable gain.