Now that Super Bowl 50 is in the books, the road to Super Bowl LI in Houston is officially underway.
The San Francisco 49ers enter 2016 with a new head coach in Chip Kelly, so the team will be allowed to get a head-start in its offseason conditioning program on April 4.
All the other key dates for the NFL's 2016 offseason calendar can be found below. The next big event on the horizon? That would be the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis at the end of February.
*February 8 *
- Waiver system begins for 2016.
*February 9 *
- Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2015 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2016 season or who have an option for the 2016 season are not eligible to be signed.
*February 13 *
- NFL Regional Combines, Houston Texans Methodist Training Facility, Houston, Texas.
*February 16 *
- First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
*February 20 *
- NFL Regional Combines, Arizona Cardinals Training Facility, Phoenix, Arizona.
- NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.
*February 27 *
- NFL Regional Combines, Baltimore Ravens Under Armour Performance Center, Owings Mills, Maryland.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
- NFL Regional Combines, Minnesota Vikings Training Facility Max Winter Park, Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
- Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2016 on all players who have option clauses in their 2015 contracts.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2015 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.
- Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2016 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.
- All 2015 player contracts expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
- The 2016 league year and free agency period begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
- The first day of the 2016 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9.
- Trading period for 2016 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2015 contracts.
- NFL Regional Combines, New Orleans Saints Training Facility, Metairie, Louisiana.
- Annual Meeting, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2015 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.
- Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
- Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.
- 2016 NFL Draft, Chicago, Illinois.
- After the final selection in the Draft has been made, clubs may begin signing Undrafted Free Agents who were eligible for the 2016 Draft.
- First weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
- Rookie Football Development Program Begins.
- Second weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
- NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited Rookies (typically, first and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days, and minicamps during this period.
- NFL Spring League Meeting, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Deadline for prior club to send "June 1 Tender" to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA's "June 15 Tender" provision.
- For any player removed from the club's roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the 2017 League Year.
- Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting "June 15 Tender" of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player's prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
- Rookie Symposium, Aurora, Ohio.
- At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2016 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game.
- Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club's earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.
- Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or "injured players" (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club's preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club's first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.
- Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club's preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.
- A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a Club's roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.
- Signing Period ends for unrestricted Free Agents to whom a "May 10 Tender" was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
- or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.
- Signing Period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.