The San Francisco 49ers receivers had a standout practice on Saturday. A week out from their first exhibition contest when the 49ers host the Dallas Cowboys on Aug. 10, the team spent the majority of the session focusing on red zone work. Here are notes and observations from the 49ers seventh training camp practice.
1. Ahead of Saturday's session, the 49ers announced the signings of defensive lineman Jay Bromley and receiver Chris Thompson. Both made their training camp debut on Saturday, as well as tight end Daniel Helm, who the team signed on Friday.
2. DeForest Buckner (toe), Dee Ford (knee), Ahkello Witherspoon (glute) and Jeff Wilson Jr. (calf) did not practice. Joe Staley and Richard Sherman were given veteran days off, but were on the sidelines during the session.
3. With both Witherspoon and Sherman out, Jason Verrett and Greg Mabin saw first-team reps. Emmanuel Moseley and D.J. Reed Jr. were also rotated in with the first team.
4. The team saw 1-on-1 work in the red zone on Saturday. Here are a few takeaways:
- On the first rep, Marquise Goodwin came down with a toe-tap reception from Jimmy Garoppolo in the back of the end zone. Goodwin was in tight coverage, but managed to hold on to the ball for the score.
- C.J. Beathard connected with Kendrick Bourne on a diving catch near the back left pylon.
- Richie James Jr. ran a double move, breaking wide open for a touchdown on a pass from Nick Mullens.
- Both Bourne and Jordan Matthews caught all of their attempts during the session.
5. The top highlight of the day came during full team red zone work. From 15-yards out, Garoppolo connected with George Kittle in the back of the end zone. Kittle caught the contested ball over the top of the linebacker for the score.
6. On the first pass play of full team drills, Garoppolo rolled out of the pocket and was immediately met in the backfield by Nick Bosa for a "would-be" sack. Bosa has strung together several standout practices. John Lynch said before practice on "Inside Training Camp Live" that Bosa has looked "polished" so far through camp.
7. Beathard only needed one rep during full team red zone drills. The quarterback connected with Deebo Samuel in the back right corner of the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown. He also connected with James Jr. for a 25-yard pick up during the "move the chains" session.
8. K'Waun Williams recorded a "would-be" sack during the 49ers second 11-on-11 session.
9. Jaquiski Tartt had a near interception on the final play of the day. The safety jumped the route but couldn't hang on for the pick.