The San Francisco 49ers were joined by two special guests on Monday. Franchise legends Steve Young and Jerry Rice spoke to the team before practice and stuck around to watch the session. According to safety Eric Reid, Young and Rice discussed the importance of locker room culture, something that has been a point of emphasis under San Francisco's new regime.
Rice took his participation one step further by putting on cleats and joining the players on the practice field. He went through team stretch and helped warm up the quarterbacks. The routes were pretty crisp from the spry 54-year-old Hall of Famer.
Here are the rest of Monday's practice observations.
1.** Aaron Lynch and Earl Mitchell both left practice due to injury. No updates have been made available as to the severity of either player.
2. Victor Bolden Jr. provided the offensive highlight of the day with a diving catch deep downfield on a throw from Matt Barkley.
3. Rookie defensive back Adrian Colbert intercepted two passes on Monday. The first came on a throw down the middle of the field that bounced off the hands of Kendrick Bourne. He later picked off a pass during the red zone period that deflected off of Cole Hikutini's hands. Colbert made a diving play in the end zone to secure the takeaway.
Colbert began playing corner but has now been seeing lots of time as a free safety. Robert Saleh lauded Colbert's physicality and athleticism after practice.
4. More highlights from the red zone portion:
- Pierre Garçon threw touchdowns to Pierre Garçon, Garrett Celek, Pierre Garçon and Bourne.
- Reid had a near interception in the back middle of the end zone.
- Elvis Dumervil got a sack.
- Solomon Thomas stuffed a shovel pass.
- C.J. Beathard threw a touchdown to Raheem Mostert.
- Barkley threw touchdowns to Garrett Celek and Blake Bell.
- Dekoda Watson had a pair of quarterback hurries. One (if not both) may have resulted in a sack in a game.
Enjoy the best images from the San Francisco 49ers road victory over the Kansas City Chiefs.
5.** The 49ers worked on their "turbo" offense. Hoyer led a no-huddle drive that culminated in a short touchdown pass to Logan Paulsen. Sizeable gains to Garçon and Marquise Goodwin helped the first-team offense get down the field.
6. Lorenzo Jerome got his third interception of camp on a deep ball down the middle of the field. The undrafted rookie jumped the pass intended for Aldrick Robinson.
7. Arik Armstead had a sack and a run stop in the backfield near the end of practice.
8. The offense's final highlight came on a deep pass down the left sideline from Beathard to Joe Williams. Saleh attributed the play to the defense being tired at the end of practice. It was great work for that group to defend the offense's up-tempo look.