SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco 49ers training camp presented by SAP was taken back to the franchise's roots on Wednesday. Kezar Stadium, the 49ers original home field from 1946-70, was the venue for practice as the team took the field in front of thousands of fans in attendance. The environment provided the perfect backdrop on what was a beautiful afternoon in the heart of San Francisco.
As for the on-field work itself, here are the top takeaways from what transpired Wednesday.
1. The first big reaction from the fans came on a Colin Kaepernick zone read. The quarterback decided to keep the ball and took off up the right side of the field.
2.** San Francisco's running backs all flashed as well. Pierre Garçon took a swing pass up the right sideline for a sizeable gain. Shaun Draughn had a similar reception, and Kendall Gaskins found open running room off of the right tackle.
3. Hall of famer Charles Haley is still in attendance at practice and continues to work with the 49ers defensive linemen and pass-rushers.
4. Bradley Pinion got his fair share of punts in during one special teams period, unleashing several booming kicks downfield. A few of his longest punts traveled more than 65 yards with plenty of hang time.
5. DeForest Buckner shined in the 1-on-1, defensive line vs. offensive line period. On one rep, Buckner powered straight through the offensive lineman he was matched up with and got to the quarterback immediately.
6. Fellow rookie defensive lineman Ronald Blair III also showed well in the period. The Appalachian State product used a swim move to get around the right edge and win his rep.
7. The offensive play of the day came on a connection from Blaine Gabbert to DeAndrew White. The highlight came during a 7-on-7, move-the-ball period. Gabbert found White from 40-yards out for a long touchdown up the left sideline.
8.** Thad Lewis followed with a touchdown to Devon Cajuste on the following offensive possession. The offense had the ball near the goal line and Lewis hit Cajuste on a slant.
9. Kaepernick's longest pass play came up the left sideline to Quinton Patton. "QP" showed off some impressive moves after the catch to gain some additional yards as well as some cheers from the Faithful.
10. Buckner and Ahmad Brooks combined for a sack during the final team period. Blair also lined up with the first-team defense for a few snaps during the same drill. Aaron Lynch provided the final defensive highlight of the day with a tackle for loss to stuff a running play on a 3rd-and-2 situation.
11. Gabbert found DiAndre Campbell 20 yards down the middle of the field on a post route to account for the final offensive highlight of the afternoon.
12. Following practice, players spent significant time signing autographs and taking pictures with the fans who made their way to Kezar.