The San Francisco 49ers completed their first of two mandatory minicamp practices on Tuesday. After a slow day in last week's open session, the offense had several explosive plays.
Here are all the top notes and highlights.1. The opening team period featured long completions from Pierre Garçon. The first came on a throw up the right seam to a wide-open George Kittle. The rookie tight end hauled in the long pass and ran the rest of the way for a touchdown.
Hoyer then threw a bomb down the right sideline into the arms of Marquise Goodwin, who had beaten the man in coverage. Of note, both plays came on play action. Eric Reid told reporters before practice that Kyle Shanahan likes to set up his plays, and that trait was on display Tuesday.
2.** Matt Barkley followed suit with several nice passes of his own. He completed a ball to Aldrick Robinson down the left sideline on a deep comeback route for his first long completion of the day. The two connected again at the end of practice. Barkley rolled left off of play action and lofted a pass over the defense to Robinson for a sizeable gain.
3. K'Waun Williams didn't practice today which meant that Will Redmond took first-team reps at nickel corner. Rashard Robinson didn't practice either. A team official said that the second-year corner back is "working through something minor."
4. Garrett Celek made the catch of the day. The veteran tight end caught a 20-yard pass from Barkley down the middle of the field with two defenders draped all over him. The reception came during a "move the ball" period and got the offense into the red zone.
5. Rookie defensive back Adrian Colbert showed impressive coverage in the red zone on a fade route intended for DeAndre Carter.
6. Pierre Garçon caught back-to-back passes at one point. The first was a quick slant from left to right as Garçon added about 10 yards after the catch. The next was a screen pass to the left that gained eight yards. Garçon later caught a pass on a quick stopping route to the right and turned it up the sideline for extra yards.
7. Eli Harold and Chris Jones each batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage.
8.** Dontae Johnson had an impressive pass breakup 15 yards downfield on a ball intended for Garçon. On the same play, Arik Armstead had a would-be sack.
9. Running backs were heavily involved in the passing game on Tuesday. Tim Hightower, Raheem Mostert, Pierre Garçon, Matt Breida and Kyle Juszczyk all had at least one reception.
10. The defense dominated the red zone period, which placed the ball at the 5-yard line. NaVorro Bowman and Vinnie Sunseri each recorded an interception. DeForest Buckner, Aaron Lynch and Dekoda Watson all had a sack. Malcolm Smith added a pass breakup.
11. Nick Mullens managed to get one touchdown for the offense on a throw to rookie tight end Cole Hikutini in the back of the end zone.
12. Goodwin, Kittle and Trent Taylor all made a nice catch during the final team period. Lynch added a second sack to close practice as well.