With 11 picks entering the 2014 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers have plenty of ammunition to execute draft-day trades.
For one to actually happen, luck, mutual interest and extensive pre-planning are all required.
“It takes two to dance,” 49ers general manager Trent Baalke told 49ers.com. “You don’t know what’s going to happen. You don’t know what other teams are going to do ahead of you.
The 49ers have lined up several potential scenarios, but Baalke is “not ready to finalize anything” prior to the draft.
As the weekend unfolds, Baalke and the rest of the staff could utilize up to four phones at any given time in the draft room.
“I’ll make a lot of the calls,” Baalke said. “(President) Paraag (Marathe) will make some calls and coach (Jim Harbaugh) will make some calls. Heck, we’ll even get (CEO) Jed (York) involved at times making calls. It really depends on how much action is taking place and how many people we have to contact.”
The 49ers scouting staff finalized its draft board on Tuesday, though last-minute alterations could still take place.
“We’re definitely ready to get this show on the road,” Baalke said. “A lot of people have put in a lot of time and we’re glad it’s here.”
- READ: 49ers.com's Final Mock Draft
- READ: What Experts Said about Kaepernick Selection
- READ: Evaluating SJSU QB David Fales
- READ: 49ers GM Shares Draft Criteria for WR Prospects
- READ: Rice's 40 Time Still Relevant in '14
- READ: Davante Adams Uses Basketball as Advantage
- READ: Baalke Explains Power, Pitfalls of Social Media
- READ: Meet SF's Draft Day Crew in NYC